Red Mizuna | Mustard Green Seed
$4.58 – $184.07 AUD excl gst
Beautiful fast crop, edible flowers with an attractive spicy taste
- Leaves are finely serrated at baby size and mizuna-shaped at full size
- Colour ranges from dark green with red veins to dark maroon at either size, with the maroon color being darker in cooler weather
- Flavour is sweet and slightly pungent
- Edible Flowers: If allowed to bolt, use the flowers to add a little bite to salads and soups, and to brighten up salad mix. The flavour of the flowers is spicy and mustard-like
- Avg. 15,300 seeds/30g
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Brassica juncea
CULTURE: Sow from early spring to late summer. For bunching, sow 6-12m deep in a 5cm wide band with 15 seeds/30cm, rows 45-60cm apart. Cut when greens reach full-size (30-45cm). For baby leaf, sow 60 seeds/30cm 6-12mm deep in a 5-10cm wide band. Cut entire plants at 7-15cm.
INTENSIVE SPACING: 12 rows, 6cm apart spaced every 4cm on the row. 6-row seeder (C-M-T); Hole Size C, Middle pulleys,Tight brush setting.
FULL GROWTH: Plants will grow 30-45cm if left to maturity, rows 30-45 cm spacing in bunches 5-7cm apart.
PAPERPOT TRANSPLANTER: Can be used for early spring crops use 5cm chainpots, 4 or 5 rows/75cm bed.
HARVEST: Cut entire plants at 7-15cm.
INSECTS: Control pests with floating row covers applied at time of sowing.
AVG. DIRECT SEEDING RATE: Intensive Baby leaf: 30g/55 metres, 300 seeds/metre
SEED SPECS: SEEDS/30grams: Avg. 16,500.
- Latin Name: Brassica juncea
- Days To Maturity: 21 baby; 40 full size
- Life Cycle: Annual