The Winter Market Gardener | Jean-Martin Fortier
$68.95 AUD excl gst
A Successful Grower’s Handbook for Year-Round Harvests
By: Jean-Martin Fortier, Catherine Sylvestre, Laurie Bennett (Translator)
Profitable winter market gardening – the complete practical guide to growing vegetables year-round in northern (northern hemisphere) climates for local markets.
Many small farms shut down during the dark winter months. Yet with the right techniques, equipment and cultivars, year-round growing can produce the highest quality and tastiest fresh local vegetables, all while banking a profit.
Building on years of research, experimentation, and collaboration, The Winter Market Gardener is a beautifully illustrated practical guide to winter vegetable production for small farmers growing in northern climates. Coverage includes:
- Unique aspects of year-round vegetable production, including superior flavour and the promotion of seasonality in eating
- Dozens of detailed vegetable profiles featuring recommended cultivars and crop-specific tips and techniques for bountiful winter harvests
- Details for calculating optimal seeding dates, crop spacing, care, pest management, weed control and harvesting
- Selecting shelters for your crops and climate, including row covers, low tunnels, caterpillar tunnels, and high tunnels
- The costs and benefits of heated versus unheated greenhouses
- Tool selection and use for efficiency
- Winter storage crops and successful autumn growing
- Crop planning details for winter-season production.
Whether you are an experienced farmer or market grower, enthusiastic amateur, or committed consumer, The Winter Market Gardener will excite, inspire and empower you to embrace the seasons and work with nature to produce and enjoy superior-quality local vegetables all year.
About the Author
Jean-Martin Fortier and his wife Maude-Helene Desroches are the founders of the Canadian farm, Les Jardins de la Grelinette, an internationally recognized micro-farm famous for its high productivity-profitability using low-tech, high-yield methods of production. A leading practitioner of biologically intensive cropping systems, Jean-Martin has more than a decade’s worth of experience in mixed organic farming. He has written articles about his work for popular magazines such as Canadian Organic Grower, La Terre de Chez Nous and Growing for Market. He also contributes occasionally as a tool and equipment advisor for companies such as Johnny’s Selected Seeds and Dubois Agrinovation
Number Of Pages: 256
Published: 10th October 2023
Publisher: New Society Publishers
Country of Publication: US