Staro | Organic Chive Seed
$3.85 – $29.38 AUD excl gst
- Heaviest leaf for processing and freezing.
- Best for markets demanding a thicker leaf for freezing, drying, or fresh use.
- Edible Flowers: Pull the florets apart and sprinkle on salads, dips, sauces, soups, stir-fries, and pizza. Great as an addition to potato salad.
- Flavour is of mild, sweet onion.
- Organically grown.
- Avg. 21,100 seeds/30g.
SOWING: Direct seed (recommended): In spring, sow 6mm deep as soon as the soil warms up. Place 4-6 seeds every 15cm or 1-2 seeds per 25mm. Thin to 2-3 plants every 5-20cm. Keep free of weeds.
Transplant: Start seeds in flats 6-8 weeks before the last frost. Sow several seeds per plug, thinning to 3-4 seedlings per plug. Transplant seedling clusters 5-20cm apart in rows 45cm apart.
LIGHT PREFERENCE: Sun/Part Shade.
SOIL REQUIREMENTS: A fairly rich soil that is high in humus.
PLANT HEIGHT: 30-45cm.
PLANT SPACING: 5-20cm.
HARDINESS ZONES: Zones 3-9.
HARVEST: Individual leaves may be harvested once the plants are established. Harvest leaves before flowering begins. Leaves can be harvested 3-4 times per year, cut at ground level.
Leaves may be used fresh or dried. To dry, cut bundles into 6-12mm lengths. Spread one layer on a screen, allowing for air circulation. Place in a well-ventilated location out of direct sunlight. Stir periodically while drying.
Note: Mature chive clumps should be divided every 3 to 4 years.
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Allium schoenoprasum
- Life Cycle: Perennial
- Hybrid Status: Open Pollinated
- Certified organic: ACO12180
- Days To Maturity: 75 – 85 Days