Silage tarp as used by J.M Fortier: used as part of a bio-intensive system.
– soil covering tarp to smother crop debris when preparing new ground
-when used on moist soil, it creates a micro environment that promotes biologically healthy soil
– use as a compliment to our minimal tillage system
– 2-4 weeks post crop, pre-rotation to next
– passively preparing the soil for the next seeding while also weeding it just like false seedbed would
– the tarp creates warm moist conditions in which weed seeds germinate, but the young weeds are then killed by the absence of light. occultation.