Cindy | White F1 Kohlrabi Seed
$5.00 – $30.36 AUD excl gst
- Kohlrabi is best eaten when not much larger than 7.5cm in diameter, fast variety, early cultivation in glasshouse and open field
- double cover is reasonable!
- ideal for start of harvest into the season
- use preventive plant protection measures
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Brassica oleracea var. gongylodes
INTENSIVE SPACING: 2 rows per bed spaced every 45cm on the row
PAPERPOT TRANSPLANTER: Use LP303-15 paperchains and remove every second seedling at nursery stage. Transplant after temperatures average above minimum 10C.
CULTURE: Kohlrabi prefers mild or cool weather. It is grown throughout the season in the Australian south, and during autumn and winter in the north. Sow 15 seeds/30cm, 6-12mm deep, in rows 30-45mm apart. Thin fresh market varieties to 10cm between plants. Thin storage varieties to 25cm between plants. For earliest crops start in flats or plug trays and transplant. Fertile, well-irrigated soil promotes rapid growth which makes for a sweeter flavored crop. Harvest when roots are about 50-75mm in diameter; 20cm diameter for storage varieties.
DAYS TO MATURITY: From direct seeding; for days to maturity from transplanting, subtract about 14 days.
AVG. DIRECT SEEDING RATE: 250 seeds/5m 1,000 seeds/22m, 436M/acre at 15 seeds/30cm with rows 45cm apart.
TRANSPLANTS: Avg. 4,700 plants/30g, 800 plants/1,000 seeds.
SIZED SEEDS: Standard except where noted.
SEED SPECS: SEEDS/30g: Avg. 6,500.
- Latin Name: Brassica oleracea
- Days To Maturity: 60 Days
- Life Cycle: Annual
- Hybrid Status: Open pollinated